Thursday, December 27, 2007

Olive Lucy

My name is Christine, my partner of 11.5 years Watson and I lost our daughter during labor on Monday, August 27, 2007.

I had always known that i would deliver on or about 8/28/07, i told everyone to be ready for the baby by then. I started early labor late Saturday night Braxton hicks contractions that were sporadic. Sunday morning i called my OB and he said if they continued to head to L&D that evening, by 5pm i had been having contractions for most of the day, so off we went to L&D, i was hooked up examined but i was only dilated 2cm and effaced 50% so they sent me home after a few hours. when we went to the hospital that evening, at that time everything was perfect, my heart rate the baby's, everything- I was progressing. I wasn't just yet far enough along to stay so they sent me home.

I returned home around 10:30 pm. Through the night I continued to have contractions and time them. I labored at home until 5:45 am then we got ready to return to the hospital, bag, and baby things in tow we left our home ready to go have our baby.

We arrived to the hospital L& D at about 6:30 am and at that time they were no longer able to find a heart beat. More and more Doctors tried to find it and soon our room was filled with so many that we knew that things had gone very wrong. We were told that at some time during the night our precious baby's heart had stopped beating. NO one could say those words I am sorry your baby died but truth be told their face gave it away. every single Doctor & nurse in the room was sharing the same face one that haunts me.

There is no explanation that could be found at that time. it has now been 4 months know and know now we will never know what was the cause. Because I was already in labor and because we were full term we went trough with as much of a our birthing plan as possible. I was given some narcotic painkiller because i was so distraught and to take the edge off (more like make me feel like i had been out drinking all night) they also hooked up the pitocin (for a short while i was already 3 cm by this time and i think they use less than one bag of pitocin all told) did get an epidural for the shortest time possible, with the assistance of these meds, a room full of loving nursing staff, with my darling watson on my right, my rock nancy on my left and our OB Dr. D there to coach me through it all i was able to give birth on my own to our baby. I pushed for about 20 mins at most. with watson and nancy helped with my legs but my epidural had already started to where off so i was able to move my legs on my own and i an grateful for that. Watson was so incredible he told me i could do it, he could see the baby head and then he said the words i had always know. It's a girl oh it's a girl and she is beautiful.

At 3:38pm Monday, August 27, 2007 our perfect girl arrived. 

Olive Lucy Kawecki
7 lbs, 8 oz.

22 1/2 inches long.

And she has great big clown feet.

I was lucky enough to give birth to a beautiful and perfect child that unfortunately was not breathing nor had a heart beat. she did however change my world and continues to do so. If you would like to read more about me and how i deal with my loss, how we are doing, or even more about how i know my daughter continues to touch my life check out her blog.

again i am sorry that any mother has to join this club, but i am glad that my loss has brought me here to these women that understand.
~ Lucy's Mom Christine